This Sunday is Mother’s Day, the day set aside each year to show love and appreciation for moms. Kids love making home-made cards and gifts and most moms keep those lopsided clay creations and tattered construction-paper cards long after their kids leave childhood behind.
While she can’t exactly tuck away our gift suggestion, we think Mom will LOVE the munchkin that makes her breakfast and serves it to her in bed. We guarantee you'll make her feel like a queen!
This recipe has been created by kids for kids. Moms should stop reading now so their children can surprise them on Mother’s Day! (Dads can read as long as they’re good at keeping secrets.) Kids between 7-12 years old can make this without parental help. Younger kids might need to call on Dad.
MOM’S SPECIAL BERRY PARFAIT
- ¼ cup Breakfast Muesli (about 4 big spoonfuls)
- ½ cup Vanilla yogurt (about 8 big spoonfuls)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- ¼ cup Fresh berries (about 3 kid-sized handfuls) – try to figure out mom’s favorite berries or just use strawberries or blueberries
WHAT ELSE YOU’LL NEED
- A tray to carry mom’s breakfast to her bed
- Decorations for the tray, like a hand drawn placemat or fresh flowers
- A mother’s day card (moms like the ones you make best)
- A container for the parfait (use a short, wide drinking glass, a wine or champagne glass, an ice-cream dish or parfait dish if Mom has one in the kitchen. Anything will work!)
- A spoon
- A small cup of juice
- A couple of napkins
- The morning paper or a crossword book and pencil
- If you’re allowed to make coffee or tea using the coffee maker – or if another adult can help you – serve coffee or tea just the way mom likes it.
A few days before Mother’s Day, you’ll need to do a little work. Find the tray that you want to serve breakfast on and everything you want to put on it. You also should make the decorations now.
Let Dad or another adult know what to pick up at the store (see the Ingredients list). If there isn’t anyone besides Mom that can help you to get the ingredients, write her a shopping list and tell her that you need it before May 9th. She might guess that it’s for Mother’s Day, but she won’t know what you’re making.
On the morning of Mother’s Day, get your tray and put everything on it except the bowl to make the parfait. Then wash your hands so you can make Mom’s Special Berry Parfait.
To make Mom’s Special Berry Parfait, scoop the yogurt into a bowl. You can use any bowl, like the one you use for cereal or ice cream because you will need another bowl for serving mom. Squeeze the honey onto a spoon and mix it together with the yogurt.
Sprinkle 1 big spoonful of muesli on the bottom. Top this with some of the honey yogurt mix and add a handful of berries. Repeat this in layers until you’ve used all the ingredients.
Place the parfait bowl on the tray and take it to mom. Be prepared for hugs and kisses when you do, because she will be very happy with you.
Then, go back downstairs and clean up the mess you made. (You’ll get credit for that, don’t worry!)