Hope you enjoyed your weekend. Temperatures in the 80s and 48 percent humidity made it feel a little like I was sitting on Waikiki Beach, but I guess it beats the alternative, right?
I have all these bits and pieces of info I’ve been meaning to share with you so I thought I’d get it taken care of this week, all in one blog post.
Let me Know when it’s Safe to Eat Again
Did you read about the local E.coli outbreak? A couple of weeks ago there was an outbreak of E.coli at several Minnesota Applebees Restaurants, two of them right here in Blaine. As of last Thursday there were 15 confirmed cases.
Experts aren’t sure, but they think it started with fecal-contaminated greens served by the restaurants. Since I don’t even want to think about how lettuce might become contaminated in that manner I stopped reading there.
At any rate, if you think you might be among the infected, call the Minnesota Foodborne Illness Hotline at 1-877-FOOD-ILL
Just Gonna Run down to Rainbow
. . .said nobody in Blaine ever again. Rainbow Foods in Blaine closed its doors on Tuesday, the 22nd. Roundy’s, the company that owns the store, sold off all of their Rainbow Foods stores with the exception of nine of them that they couldn’t find buyers for. We still have Cub Foods, Super Target, Walmart and Aldi so it's not like we'll starve.
No word yet on what the future has in store for the Blaine site.
Kids hate Shots
But they have no choice in the matter. Minnesota has a new immunization law that goes into effect on September 1 that you should know about as you get ready to send your kids back to school. Here are the new requirements, according to Anoka County Community Health and Environmental Services:
- Tdap and Meningococcal vaccine will be required for all students entering 7th grade. Students entering grades 8-12 must show documentation if the school requests it.
- Hepatitis B and Hepatitis A vaccine will be required for childcare and early childhood programs for appropriate ages.
- Varicella vaccine must be received by 15 months for children in child care or early childhood programs. If a child had varicella disease prior to 2010, a parent or guardian may provide the month/year of disease. If a child had varicella disease after 2010, a provider’s signature is required.
- For a complete polio series, children must have their final polio dose (usually the 4th dose) on or after their fourth birthday.
- For a complete DTaP series, children must have their final DTaP dose (usually the 5th dose) on or after their fourth birthday.
That’s a lot of shots – gives me the willies just thinking about them.
REALTORS Love Golf
Well, at least this one does. The 3M Championship at TPC Twin Cities starts today and runs through August 3rd.
Some of the greats will be making appearances, such as Jack Nicklaus Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Nancy Lopez, Gary Player, Annika Sorenstam, Lee Trevino, Dave Stockton and Johnny Miller.
Admission is free all week so I think I might try to sneak away from real estate for a little while. Don’t tell anybody.